Minecraft: China Edition[a] is a localized edition of Java and Bedrock editions for mainland China, developed by Mojang Studios and NetEase. China Edition has 600 million players as of October 2022.
Main articles: Java Edition § Gameplay and Bedrock Edition § Gameplay
- Free to download and play
- Chinese citizen ID required to play
- This version is locked down more strictly
- This version will attempt to verify the copy and its location to prevent foreign users
- Interface locked to Simplified Chinese without ability to change language
- Cloud storage[Java Edition only]
- Friends system, with live text chat support
- In-game text content is heavily censored, including but not limited to chat, Book and Quills, Written Books, Signs, Command Blocks, renamed items (via Anvils) and mobs (via renamed Spawn Eggs or Name Tags)
- Censorship also applies to any text in the launcher, such as community posts, comments on contents, and private messages. Rental servers and virtual LAN games are not allowed to have names altogether, instead being referred to by a numerical ID
- Multiple in-game player names are allowed[Java Edition only]
- Server rental and management in launcher
- An alternative to the Realms service
- The server owner does not have permission to upload or download server maps[Bedrock Edition only]
- The server can be backed up, restored, or reset with allocated storage (6 GB, 6144 MB in total)
- Maximum file size for server maps that can be backed up is 1 GB, 1024 MB
- The server will be shut down after the storage space is full
- Can install mods in rental mod service (Bukkit core)[Java Edition only]
- Online game server
- VIP Membership Center
- CN¥20 per month (≈ US$2.80 per month)
- CN¥12 per month (≈ US$1.70 per month) after 40% off discount
- VIP members can purchase seasonal merchandise at a discount of 40% rather than the original price. All purchased benefits and merchandise will be temporarily unavailable if the membership expired
- Patch system
- An alternative to the Marketplace service, normally only available in the Bedrock Edition of the game
- Including API, resource packs, skins, and mods, all contributed by community creators or officially reproduced from Marketplace
- Some patches are free
- Use Emerald or Diamond as currency instead of "Minecoins"
- Will not conflict or affect in-game items
- One-click patching
- No achievements on Bedrock Edition
- Virtual joystick support (with eight directions)[Bedrock Edition only]
- New UI[Bedrock Edition only] and pause menu
- "The Shopkeeper's Gifts" where players can watch ads to earn scratch cards rewarding varying amounts of emeralds and diamonds (limited to 5 per day) or unlock specific patches, including texture packs, mods, and custom maps, ranging from 1-2000 ads per item (limited to 35 per day).[Bedrock Edition only]
- "Chaos/Apocalyptic Game mode" with new features of which includes a new "Apocalyptic realm" with exclusive achievements, items, biomes, mobs, and 4 new bosses to fight. This was a custom mod for China Edition made by a 3rd party(Dependency Unclear)
- "Three Kingdoms: Chibi Game mode" adds new mobs, npc, boss, character special abilities, blocks, currency (diamonds for microtransactions), vouchers and weapon forging system (synthesize, forge, cast, upgrade, enhanced crystals, strengthening crystals).
- NPC[Bedrock Edition only]
- The operator holds Worldbuilder permissions by default, which means that its interface can be edited when the education option is turned off
- Some functionality is limited:
- Advanced settings (invalid after reboot)
- Proprietary interface for developing advanced component features[Bedrock Edition only]
- Wonderful World (Simplified Chinese: 精彩世界 Pinyin: Jīngcǎi shìjiè): Game recommendation page including news, recommended resources, special topic, best videos, etc.
- Game Center (Simplified Chinese: 游戏中心 Pinyin: Yóuxì zhōngxīn): Online gaming server.
- Patch Center (Simplified Chinese: 组件中心 Pinyin: Zǔjiàn zhōngxīn): Patch resource area including functional patches, visual patches, map patches, and gameplay patches.
- Game Forum (Simplified Chinese: 游戏论坛 Pinyin: Yóuxì lùntán): Game discussion area including tips for tutorials, Q&A, video live, etc.
- Game Live (Simplified Chinese: 游戏直播 Pinyin: Yóuxì zhíbō): Streamer Live area.
- Novelties (Simplified Chinese: 新鲜事 Pinyin: Xīnxiān shì): Official account/player game updates publishing area.
- Game (Simplified Chinese: 游戏 Pinyin: Yóuxì): The page to launch the game, including Singleplayer, Rental Server Games, Multiplayer Lobby, Online Games, etc.
- Friends (Simplified Chinese: 好友 Pinyin: Hǎoyǒu): Friend system including adding friends, chatting with friends, playing with multiplayer game, etc.
- Community (Simplified Chinese: 社区 Pinyin: Shèqū): Including Novelties, News and Community, which are official account/player game dynamics publishing area, game news publishing area, and in-game forum.
- Resource Center (Simplified Chinese: 资源中心 Pinyin: Zīyuán zhōngxīn): Similar to Marketplace, it allows players to buy and download game maps, add-ons, texture packs, and skins.
- My House (Simplified Chinese:我的家园 Pinyin: Wǒ de jiāyuán): A place where you have your own house that you can design. There are coins, which you can get by using the crafting table to solve a puzzle (eg. how to make a sword). The coins are used to buy furniture, decorations, and walls/floor. You also get a fox as a pet when you level up.
- Differences between Java Edition and China Edition
|Feature(s)||Java Edition||China Edition|
|Download||minecraft.net and Microsoft Store||mc.163.com|
|Account||Legacy Minecraft, Mojang, or Microsoft account||NetEase account|
|Change skin||Launcher/Website||In launcher|
|Launching||In launcher||In launcher|
|World settings||In-game||In launcher|
|Data Connection||Optional||Optional (after logged in)|
|Switching worlds||In-game||In launcher|
China Edition also has these mods pre-installed:
- anti addiction Mod
- Filter Mod
- friendplay Mod
- Fullscreen Popup Mod
- network rpc Mod
- opencommand Mod
- Playermanager Mod
- Differences between Bedrock Edition and China Edition
|Feature(s)||Bedrock Edition||China Edition|
|Price||CN¥71 (US$29.99) (Windows)
CN¥45 (US$7.49) (Android)
CN¥45 (US$6.99) (iOS & iPadOS)
|Account||Microsoft account||NetEase account|
|Change skin||In-game||In launcher|
|World settings||In-game||In launcher|
|Data connection||Optional||Optional (after logged in)|
|Switching worlds||In-game||In launcher|
From the official website and the Apple App Store.
|April 7, 2017||China Edition was announced in Water Cube, Beijing. Delegates of Mojang Studios, Microsoft, and NetEase attended.|
|April 10, 2017||Closed beta test began.|
|April 28, 2017||Beta server closed without saving data.|
|May 21, 2017||Minecraft server Hypixel announced that a China-exclusive server was to open.|
|July 14, 2017||Windows Java Edition test started again with restricted users being allowed to join. Hypixel was available from then on.|
|August 8, 2017||Windows Java Edition test started with unrestricted users being allowed to join.|
|September 15, 2017||The pocket edition is now available in App Store.|
|October 12, 2017||Public beta test of China Edition on Android started.|
|October 19, 2017||Users of China Edition on Android reached over 14 million.|
|January 25, 2018||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.2.0 was released for Mobile.|
|January 27, 2018||Registered users for China Edition on all platforms reached over 60 million.|
|March 14, 2018||Developer Platform for China Edition was opened.|
|May 22, 2018||Registered users for China Edition on all platforms reached over 100 million.|
|July 6, 2018||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.4.0 was released for Mobile.|
|July 10, 2018||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.4.0 was released for Windows.|
|August 9, 2018||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.5.0 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|September 26, 2018||Pandas win a community vote to be the next mob added to China Edition. Other candidates included the Crocodile, Golden Monkey, Deer, and the Pink Dolphin.|
|October 27, 2018||Registered users for China Edition on all platforms reached over 150 million.|
|November 15, 2018||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.6.0 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|December 20, 2018||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.7.0 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|January 24, 2019||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.8.0 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|April 3, 2019||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.9.0 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|July 4, 2019||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.11.0 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|July 26, 2019||A version based on Java Edition 1.14.3 was released for Windows.|
|October 10, 2019||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.12.0 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|November 12, 2019||Registered users for China Edition on all platforms reached over 300 million.|
|January 16, 2020||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.13.0 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|April 13, 2020||Minecraft server Hypixel announced that a China-exclusive server was to close.|
|June 30, 2020||NetEase closed the China-exclusive Hypixel server.|
|July 16, 2020||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.14.30 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|August 4, 2020||A version based on Java Edition 1.15.2 was released for Windows.|
|November 21, 2020||Registered users for China Edition on all platforms reached over 400 million.|
|January 28, 2021||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.16.10 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|March 16, 2021||A version based on Java Edition 1.16 was released for Windows.|
|June 30, 2021||A version based on Java Edition 1.16.4 was released for Windows. A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.16.201 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|July 6, 2021||A version based on Minecraft RTX was released for Windows.|
|January 21, 2022||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.17.2 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|May 20, 2022||Registered users for China Edition on all platforms reached over 500 million.|
|August 26, 2022||A version based on Bedrock Edition 1.18.2 was released for Mobile and Windows.|
|October, 2022||Registered users for China Edition on all platforms reached over 600 million.|
The pop-up which is displayed when user's IP address is located in mainland China visits minecraft.net.
- ↑ Simplified Chinese: 我的世界; Pinyin: wǒdeshìjiè; Respell: woah-duh-shh-jeh.
- ↑ China Edition website
- ↑ a b App Store (iOS, iPadOS, & macOS)
- ↑ "2022开发者大会圆满收官！一起开启全新冒险之旅！" – The official site of Minecraft: China Edition, November 5th, 2022.
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20210329080012/https://www.hotbak.net/key/%E6%88%91%E7%9A%84%E4%B8%96%E7%95%8C%E5%A4%A9%E5%90%AF%E4%B9%8B%E5%A2%83%E7%BB%88%E4%B8%8E%E5%A7%8BBOSS%E5%9C%A8%E5%93%AA%E5%A4%A9%E5%90%AF%E4%B9%8B%E5%A2%83%E7%BB%88%E4%B8%8E%E5%A7%8B%E6%80%8E%E4%B9%88%E7%8E%A9.html
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20210329091746/https://mc.163.com/news/media/20210213/29178_932212.html
- ↑ https://mc.163.com/news/20210128/29175_929516.html
- ↑ China Edition download page