The specific instructions are: Isometric render of glow lichen in Bedrock Edition prior to 1.18.10.
A glow lichen is a non-solid, light-emitting block. It can generate, or be placed, on any side of a solid block.
Glow lichen generates naturally in the interior of caves (at any height) on the surface of stone, andesite, diorite, granite, calcite, tuff, deepslate, and dripstone blocks that are exposed to air or water sources.[more information needed] It can be found underwater, but cannot generate in the deep dark biome.
Using bone meal causes glow lichen to spread to a random adjacent block if possible, otherwise the bone meal is not consumed. By fertilizing one lichen with bone meal, it is possible to cover the sides and the top of an adjacent block, but not the back. Otherwise, glow lichen does not spread naturally.
Glow lichen can be destroyed with anything, most efficiently with an axe. However, using shears is the only way to obtain glow lichen. Enchanting shears with Efficiency II allows for instant mining.
- ↑ Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
Glow lichen emits a light level of 7.
Multiple glow lichens can be placed in the area of one solid block, such as covering three sides of a corner. When such glow lichens are mined, all glow lichens occupying the same block are also mined. Mining with shears causes all glow lichens in the block to drop.
Placing a glow lichen into a composter has a 50% chance of raising the compost level by 1.
|Sound||Subtitles||Source||Description||Resource location||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Once the block has broken||1.0||0.8||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||When the block is placed||1.0||0.8||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.25||0.5||16|
|None[sound 1]||Entity-Dependent||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Footsteps||Entity-Dependent||Walking on the block||0.15||1.0||16|
|Blocks||Once the block has broken||0.7||0.8-1.0|
|Blocks||When the block is placed||0.8||0.8-1.0|
|Blocks||While the block is in the process of being broken||0.3||0.5|
|Players||Falling on the block with fall damage||0.4||1.0|
|Players||Walking on the block||0.3||1.0|
|Players||Jumping from the block||0.11||1.0|
|Players||Falling on the block without fall damage||0.21||1.0|
|Glow Lichen||Block & Item|
|Name||Identifier||Numeric ID||Form||Item ID[i 1]||Translation key|
|Glow Lichen||Block & Giveable Item[i 2]||Identical[i 3]|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|down||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the bottom.|
|east||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the east.|
|north||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the north.|
|south||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the south.|
|up||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the top.|
|waterlogged||Whether or not there's water in the same place as this glow lichen.|
|west||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the west.|
|Name||Metadata Bits||Default value||Allowed values||Values for
|multi_face_direction_bits||The directions the glow lichen exists. Each bit determines one direction:
|1.17||21w03a||Added glow lichen.|
|Glow lichen placed inside lava converts the lava into waterlogged lichen, even in the Nether.|
|21w05a||Changed model of glow lichen. Moved model from 0.01 to 0.1 up.|
|Waterlogged glow lichen no longer forms when placed in lava.|
|February 9, 2021||Showed early design of glow lichen.|
|21w07a||Glow lichen can now be naturally generated on deepslate.|
|21w08a||Glow lichen now generates almost twice as often.|
|21w11a||Bone meal can no longer be used on glow lichen if it has no blocks to spread to.|
|Glow lichen can now be used on a composter.|
|21w13a||The model of glow lichen has been tweaked so that the backside texture is mirrored.|
|21w20a||Glow Lichen now drops the correct amount if there's more than one on a block.|
|1.19||22w15a||Can now be placed on the top and sides of soul sand, mud and maximum height snow.|
|1.19.3||22w44a||Glow Lichen now makes a sound when being walked on.|
|1.17.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Added glow lichen.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Glow lichen can now appear on the walls of underground water lakes.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Glow lichen no longer available only through Experimental Gameplay.|
|Caves & Cliffs (experimental)||beta 184.108.40.206||Glow lichen can now generate between Y=-64 and Y=63.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||The maximum Y-level that glow lichen can generate has been increased to Y=120.|
|1.18.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Glow lichen is no longer able to generate anywhere outside of caves.|
|1.18.10||beta 22.214.171.124||Glow lichen now emits a light level of 7, matching Java Edition.|
Issues relating to "Glow Lichen" are maintained on the bug tracker. Report issues there.
- This block was hinted at by Henrik Kniberg, who explained that the glowing ores at Minecraft Live 2020 were prototypes for this. 
- If the player removes all directional states using a debug stick, the block becomes invisible, but the light emission remains, unless another block is placed there.
- In real life, the lichen is a composite organism that arises from algae or cyanobacteria living among filaments of multiple fungus species in a symbiotic relationship.
Glow lichens in an amethyst geode.
Floating glow lichen in a stronghold.
Glow lichen next to falling water in a cave near the surface.
- ↑ MC-212117 — resolved as "Fixed in 21w05a".
- ↑ MC-171621 — resolved as "Fixed".
- ↑ MCPE-125198 — "Glow Lichen generates on the bottom of the ocean" — resolved as "Fixed".
- ↑ MCPE-141412 — "Glow Lichens generates on the surface" — resolved as "Fixed".
- ↑ "And yes, Glow Lichen is the new cave light source I mentioned in the cave prototype video a while back. We made them mainly for the not-yet-released larger caves. Glow Lichen generate naturally, but you can also grow it yourself and make eerie glowing cave paths :)" – @henrikkniberg on Twitter, January 20, 2021
- ↑ "Once Upon a Time in the Underground (Minecraft cave prototype) @ 0:27" – Henrik Kniberg on YouTube, October 8, 2020